20-Minute HIIT Workout To Do At Home
If you've got 20-minutes then you have time for this HIIT workout. The workout focuses on bodyweight moves done in quick intervals to keep your heart rate up. This workout targets the whole body and helps build muscle and torch calories. The intervals in both circuits have built-in recovery. This workout doesn't require any equipment.
In order for it to really genuinely qualify as 'High Intensity Interval Training', the work you put in has to be very intense. Imagine on a scale of 1 - 10 of maximum exertion, you need to be at a 9 every time, doing as many reps as possible. Which means the rest parts of this workout are super important.
If you're a beginner, change the ratio of work to rest so that you're working for shorter and resting longer.Circuit 1: Work 45 sec, rest 15 sec after each exercise
Repeat circuit twice
- Butt Kicks — 45 sec
- Stand with feet hip-distance apart
- Kick your left heel to your left glute.
- Set your foot back down and repeat with your right foot. Continue alternating as quickly as possible
- Jump Squats — 45 sec
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-distance apart.
- Bend your knees and sit your butt back, keeping your chest upright.
- Jump up into the air as high as you can, once landed lower into the next rep
- Burpees — 45 sec
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart and then bring your palms to the floor
- Jump your feet back so that you are in a plank position, keeping your hips lifted.
- Bend your elbows and do 1 push-up
- Now jump your feet to the outside of your hands. As you stand up, explode up and jump as high as you can, bringing your arms overhead.
- Alternating Side Lunges — 45 sec
- Start standing with your feet together.
- Step your left foot out to the left. Keep your right leg straight and bend your left knee.
- Step your left foot back to standing, and repeat, stepping out with your right foot
- Continue switching back and forth.
- Jumping Lunges — 45 sec
- Start standing with feet shoulder-width apart. Jump your left leg forward and your right leg back and land in a lunge position.
- Jump up and switch your legs in midair so that you land in a lunge with your right leg in front.
- Continue jumping back and forth, pausing as little as possible.
- Do as many as possible in 45 seconds.
Circuit 2: Work 45 sec, rest 15 sec after each exercise
Repeat circuit twice
- Mountain Climbers — 45 sec
- Start in high plank and draw your right knee under your torso, keeping the toes off the ground
- Return your right foot to starting position
- Switch legs and bring your left knee under your chest. Keep switching legs as if you're running in place.
- Bicycle Crunches — 45 sec hold
- Start by lying on the ground and place your hands on the sides of your head.
- Lift one leg just off the ground and with the other leg bend your knee towards your chest
- As you do twist through your core, so the opposite arm comes towards the raised knee. You don’t need to touch elbow to knee.
- Lower your leg and arm at the same time to alternate.
- Plank Jacks — 40 sec
- Start in high plank.
- Keeping your core engaged, jump your feet out and in (like jumping jacks).
- Lateral Plank Walks — 45 sec
- Start in high plank with shoulders above your wrists and abs tight.
- Step right foot and right hand to right side immediately following with left foot and left hand. Take a few "steps" in one direction, then walk in the opposite direction.
- Plank to Push Up — 45 sec
- Start in high plank with shoulders above your wrists and abs tight
- Now drop onto elbows
- Then push yourself back up into a high plank and repeat